Friday, June 18, 2010

Home in Los Angeles



Hey everyone,
It sure feels empty and quiet in these first couple days since the end of the Conan tour. I've been a marionette for two months, my every move controlled by day sheets, call times, set lists and laminated signs. My strings now detached, I'm trying to remember how to direct my own life.

This experience has been so high impact for me that I'm almost afraid to come down from the high. I'm like an astronaut, just back from a weightless journey through space, adjusting again to the burden of gravity here on earth.

As a child, I used to have a recurring dream wherein I'd come upon a large pile of silver coins. That pile of coins, probably all of $250 in quarters, silver dollars, and half dollars, represented a life-changing windfall to me at that time. After an initial celebration, it would occur to me that this must be a dream. That I would again wake up to find my loot had evaporated during my return to consciousness. I would spend the rest of the dream methodically preparing a special hiding spot for my treasure. Properly secured and stowed away, I thought, this pile of coins would arrive with me on the other side.

Now I've awakened in Burbank to find I've been fooled yet again. But I haven't come back totally empty-handed. How do you even put a price on the experience I've just had? On seeing Conan O'Brien elevated from television personality to folk hero to rock star? I've felt first-hand the massive public affirmation of Conan's status as a beloved television star. And now, at TBS, we'll all get to see what happens when Conan gets to do a show his way.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of a thing to write that does not seem inconsequencial after so huge an experience. Its been a long time coming, you worked hard and waiting very long for it, so enjoy it forever as we will through you. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes my heart feel so warm :-)
    Thanks for blogging it!

    ReplyDelete