Monday, June 7, 2010

Wang Center, Boston












Hey people,
It was great to spend some time in Boston again. When I lived in Boston, I spent most of my time in the Back Bay area. There wasn't much reason to hang out near the Theater District (where the Wang is), unless you were looking for hookers or strip shows. I did work right near the Wang Center for a few years, at a couple restaurants. And I was routinely propositioned by prostitutes on my way home. So the venue area wasn't exactly a homecoming.

We stayed a half mile away at the fabulous Nine Zero Hotel, near the Old City Hall (which is evidently now a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.... weird). This is right at the edge of the Boston Common, on Tremont Street. I didn't spend much time in that area either, back when I lived in Boston. But from what I remember, it was pretty seedy then. Now it's home to a thriving pub and restaurant scene. Shira and Franki came to stay with me for a couple days. We loved walking Franki in the Common, and eating porterhouse for two at the KO Steakhouse in the Hotel. Of course, Franki got the bone when we were through. One lucky wiener dog!

The Wang Center is gorgeous and great-sounding. The crowds both nights were fantastic. Conan had a bunch of his family at both shows. At one point during the show, Andy swore onstage, then turned to Conan's mom and said "I'm sorry, Mrs. O'Brien." Local Celtic Punk legends the Dropkick Murpheys were the musical guests, and they were super entertaining. The entire crew has been singing and whistling "Shipping Up To Boston," their big hit, ever since their appearance.

Last but not least, check out the great (i.e. lucky) shot I got of Conan up on the balcony with his guitar. Isn't that sweet?

Next up: Mohegan Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment