Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Last Bus Ride







Hey all,
We took our last bus ride into Atlanta this morning. It was an interesting feeling, knowing that I wouldn't see the bus again. I came into this experience wondering what life on the bus would be like. Will people be at each others' throats? Will there be anything to eat? Anything to do? Will I sleep well on the bus? I can't poop on the bus? Seriously?

But I ended up loving it. I slept like a baby on the bus. The gentle (or not so gentle) rocking motion knocked me right out. Always stocked with too much food, and tons of beer, the bus was a sanctuary in every city.

My bunk became home the first night I slept in it. I miss my bunk already. When that bus rolls, you know that someone is looking out for you. You know that you will awake in the place you need to be. It's all up to the driver, the tour planning, the elements, the traffic. None of it is up to you. Wake up hungry?- Go to the front lounge and grab some food. Thirsty?- Drinks galore in the fridge. Beer?- Coolers in both lounges. Video games?- Back lounge (thanks Bley!). Want company?- Head to the front lounge. Quiet time with your laptop?- Go to the back lounge. Want the world of touring to disappear?- Slide into your bunk, and draw the curtain. Maybe listen to some Radiohead. Rock... a bye.....ba......by....... wha...what? Where am I? Oh.....Phoenix. Or Denver. Or Philly. And the venue, and laminated "To Catering" signs are right outside that bus door.

Our driver, Melvin Markham, did a great job getting us everywhere we needed to be. A Nashville resident (and perhaps native, not sure), Melvin had that southern gentleman's respectful tone and delivery. He saved my ass once, too, when I'd left some critical gear on the bus on a day that the buses were parked far off-site. I called him in a panic when I discovered my mistake. He got the gear onto another bus that was returning to the venue. He saved the Harvard Class of '85 Reunion gig. Thanks, Melvin.

Well, so long, bus. I've had apartments for years that I didn't love as much.

See you at the Fox Theater in Atlanta for the finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment