Sunday, April 18, 2010

Enoch / Seattle Day One




Hi everyone,

Let's start with Enoch. Enoch sucked. God, did it suck. The venue was a big-ass, ridiculous tent in the middle of nowhere. It was clearly designed by some dude whose wife ran off with an acoustician. Calling that abomination a shithole would be to unfairly insult shitholes.

This was a fly date one-off: most of our gear stayed behind. We made due with rented gear, supplied by a local sound company. Let's just say there were problems with the system- I don't want to even relive the details of it all. At one point, after the three hours sleep, two flights, and no food for 9 hours or so (not because the tour didn't provide it, but because I was too busy unsucking the sucky suckness of it all to eat), I started losing my cool with the local techs. I don't ever want to go to Enoch, Canada again. Neither do you, trust me. The hotel smelled like balls soup, and the bed had a hard lump in it. My best guess is that the previous guest had stuffed it with the body of a dead hooker. But that's just speculation, really.


Got up at 4:00 am to shuttle to Edmonton airport to fly to Seattle. So that's a second consecutive day of less than three hours sleep. I think this is my first group experience of total sleep deprivation punchiness; sudden outbursts of laughter catching like a yawn, piercing through the exhaustion if only for a moment.


I had a row to myself on the plane (two-seat row, but I'll take it). So I got maybe an hour of that weird airplane half-sleep.

After we touched down in Seattle, though, we all got a bonus half hour to sleep on the bus to the venue (McCaw Hall in Seattle Center). Now that might sound insignificant, but trust me- that 30 minutes was roadie gold. I was curled up and unconscious within minutes, and I savored every sweet second of..... horizontality. Yeah, I said it.

It's Conan's birthday today, and his wife is throwing him a party at the venue after the show. A little cake, a couple cocktails, and off to the Seattle Westin. More on Seattle later.

No comments:

Post a Comment