Sunday, April 11, 2010

An Evening in Eugene

Well it's around 9pm in Eugene. I have "rested up" a bit at a local pub with one of the cooler guys I've met in this touring crew, Ruff Stewart. Ruff is a Scotsman (yet almost understandable!) who shares my appreciation for wine. He mentioned, in particular, Chateaunouf de Pape. I know, right? He's my own, personal Groundskeeper Willy. But with taste in French reds.

Tonight, though, we sipped a few pints, while soaking up the local character(s). Know this, people. Eugene, Oregon knows that fish and chips comes with malt vinegar. Just a little credit where it's due. The ribeye, however, didn't impress. But then what kind of dumbass orders a steak at some random pub? I mean, besides me?

After a while, a 60-ish guy in a mesh football jersey with a suit jacket on top of it came in. He sat next to me and proceeded to enlighten us all about his exploits as a super-cool teenage bully, back in his glory days. He proudly mentioned that back then, he wore overalls to school. Yeah, read that line again if you have to. Why he chose to inform us, I have no idea. If anyone at the bar asked him "Hey, random guy who just walked in, what made you so cool, back when you wore overalls?" I must have missed it entirely. But evidently he used to wear overalls, and push around the nerds. Because, he said, they weren't cool. The bartender then pointed out that everyone always looks to a guy wearing a suit jacket on top of a football jersey to tell them what "cool" is. Now, reading this paragraph, you're probably thinking,"wait a minute..... what the fuck?" Exactly!

So that's Eugene. Tomorrow at 5:45 am I'll check out, load my bags on the bus, and walk across the street to the venue to begin load-in. Soundcheck at 1pm.

Well, Golly!

No comments:

Post a Comment