Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First Show and BIG NEWS!!!





Holy shit!!

We have a new show! TBS at 11pm, starting in November. I'm thrilled beyond words. It was weird the way I heard about it though: crew people at the venue in Eugene suddenly exploded, having heard the news via the internet and text messages. I was just getting started assembling the monitor rig for the first time when the news broke. Then I was just so stunned, I couldn't really focus on the task at hand for a good half hour.

Shortly after, the band showed up. Then I basically abandoned my post for a bit to exchange handshakes and hugs with my Conan family. Congratulations all around. A while later, Conan showed up. We spoke about it briefly- about what a great fit it was (TBS), and how excited he was. What a day.

Show went FANTASTICALLY well. The opening act is a wildly entertaining and totally original artist named Reggie Watts (look him up on Youtube, he's amazing). The energy of the crowd was amazing. Conan got a hugely enthusiastic standing ovation when he entered- he might as well have been Elvis. Incredible. Jack McBrayer (of 30 Rock fame) did a bit during the show also. After the show he joined some of us for beers at a pub across the street. Every bit as nice a guy as he seems.

Right now I'm on the bus to Vancouver. We'll cross the border early in the morning. Border crossings are a notorious potential headache on tours, I'm told. We may all have to get off the bus to check ID's and endure interrogation by the Canadian Mounties. Hopefully it will be painless.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. A terrific start!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, Congrats on your first night and the new show that I suppose the whole "family" hopes to be part of. I did look up Reggie Watts and he is amazing!

    My best to you and your mates, we ordinary folks back home are loving everything you are doing.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    How was the border crossing? Looking foward to more updates. If I were with you we would have a sing-a-long, bet you're sorry I'm not there now!
    One hundred bottles of beer on the wall......
    Love ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetie, that was me with the bagpipes!!!
    I'm not always in my habit!

    ReplyDelete